A little about me...

My name is Mariya Koroleva and I'm a member of the U.S. Olympic Duet for the sport of synchronized swimming. I've been swimming for 17 years (yikes!) and I've been on the national team for 9. I graduated from Stanford University in 2013 and am almost finished getting my masters degree in sport management from the University of San Francisco. I love chocolate, cross stitching, scented candles and sunsets. Follow me on my journey to my second Olympics in Rio de Janeiro!

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Olympic Games Day 3

OPENING CEREMONIES!!!

The Games are officially underway! The Opening was pretty spectacular. Well, not the actual show because we didn't really get to see any of it, but everything else was unbelievable. The entire U.S. delegation lined up in front of our building before we walked over the the stadium together. The walk was shorter than the one at the Pan American Games so my back and my legs were happy to not have to be on my feet for that long. We mingled for about an hour and I got to see my friends and take pictures. The NBA players were very popular during this time! Everyone wanted a picture with them and I got one with one of them except I don't know who he is... I have no idea what his name is or what team he plays for but I just wanted to say that I took a picture with one of the hotshots!

By the time we made it to the stadium I was getting pretty anxious and excited. Standing in the tunnel right before we walked out my heart was beating so fast! When we walked out, all I could see were blue lights in the audience. Those lights actually turned out to be part of the seats, but you couldn't see the people's heads in the dark so it was kind of confusing. Walking around the track I had the biggest smile on my face. Seeing all of my USA teammates in our Ralph Lauren outfits and feeling that Olympic buzz was such a high. After walking a lap we piled into the center of the stadium and mixed in with all the other athletes. We watched the rest of the ceremonies from there. I couldn't really see anything but I was really close when the runners ran around with the Olympic torch! That was pretty cool. At the end all of the different torches came together in the middle to form one giant torch and we were so close to it! I could even feel the heat from it radiating.

And then Paul McCartney came on. I think I almost had a heart attack. I love the Beatles! He sang Come Together and Hey Jude and I was so happy. People started to sing along and it was just unreal. I don't think it gets better than this. I am so thankful to be a part of this experience!

The next morning was pretty rough. We had to leave the village at 4 am to make our flight to Dublin and I was in a delirious half-asleep state and slept everywhere and anywhere. On the taxi ride, on the floor at the airport, on a bench at the airport, and on the place itself. Luckily we got to take a nap before practice because otherwise I might have fallen asleep in the pool. We are staying here for a few more days because we don't have pool time in London while swimming is competing. I already miss the village! The energy in that place definitely gives you a rush. The next time I will be there it will almost be time to compete! Mark your calendars, we are competing in tech duet on August 5.

Until next time,
MK

5 comments:

  1. Best of luck to you and your partner!

    The USA team looked amazing in Ralph Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the updates, almost like being there! Enjoy it! What an experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck as you swim your duet and represent the US. My daughter and all her Synchro teammates here in PA will be watching -- just days after they compete at the Keystone State Games! We're all so excited to see both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mariya I love your blog! I’m enjoying it so much! I’m rooting for you from Costa Rica. I’m also reading Mary’s blog! I’ very excited to see you perform next week! My calendar is marked! Good Luck! Good vibes, good thoughts, and lots of prayers for you both!<3
    Diana (Di Keller)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Claire and Eimear from DublinJuly 31, 2012 at 2:22 PM

    Thanks so much for your lovely performance today in Dublin. My 6 year old daughter was truly inspired by you all and says she is going to try extra hard at her swimming lessons so she can be a synchro swimmer too!

    ReplyDelete